Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Day 8: Innocence.

A little morbid perhaps but I decided to go with the 'loss of innocence' more than innocence itself. This image is particuarly based on Lucy Westernra in Dracula... just because I always adored her. I was going to have her in white originally but then I thought it wouldn't fit well within the colour scheme... and there were other reasons... like how black symbolises death in a way.

I like the image of the baby being cradled in her arms because it questions the role of women as mothers within the concept of female serial killers. An obvious case would be the Moors Murderers where Mira Hindley was really villainised (fair enough) whilst Ian Brady kind of got ignored a bit by the press, even though he was incredibly brutal.

Anyway, I don't think this needs much more rambling. I keep drawing ginger women.

2 comments:

  1. I love the colours, so warm and comforting at the top of the scene, with peaches and apricots, getting darker toward the bottom...
    It is grusome but there is a childlike quality that makes it more like Folk murder than special effects Hollywood murder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Ian Brady WAS Lord Satan himself at the time!

    ReplyDelete