Sunday, 11 January 2009

Day 20: Fortitude.


This is fairly embarrassing but I actually had to look this one up on dictionary.com. Yep. Embarrassing. I had a vague idea of what it might mean but I was in no way sure. Either way, my understanding of it wasn't quite right so thanks dictionary.com:

Fortitude

For"ti*tude\, n. [L. fortitudo, fr. fortis strong. See Fort.]

1. Power to resist attack; strength; firmness. [Obs.]

The fortitude of the place is best known to you. --Shak.

2. That strength or firmness of mind which enables a person to encounter danger with coolness and courage, or to bear pain or adversity without murmuring, depression, or despondency; passive courage; resolute endurance; firmness in confronting or bearing up against danger or enduring trouble.
Extolling patience as the truest fortitude. --Milton. Fortitude is the guard and support of the other virtues. --Locke.

Anyway, this is a fairly daft effort considering I am not good at portraying anatomy, movement, people (generally) or expression. But this was my best attempt. I had this idea of doing a painting of a wounded woman running towards the frame carrying a child but the sad fact is that I simply don't have the talent to do something like that. Oh, woe.

Tomorrow is 'Cat' I believe. Schwee! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment